Saturday, February 18, 2012

Do Barbies Celebrate Birthdays?

Almost 25 years ago, I celebrated my Barbie's birthday. My mom used to tell me stories of how as a child, she used to play "wedding" with her dolls. With her friends, she'd celebrate her doll's wedding, they'd sing songs, dress up, and then the girl with the male doll ( Ken equivalent ) would take away the female doll - for good. That story always broke me heart ( it kind of does now too ) and so when asked if I wanted to do a "wedding" for my Barbie, I declined the offer. Instead I thought it'd be a good idea to have a birthday party instead. So on February 19th 1987, I had my Barbie's birthday party to which I invited my frield Rolla. Rolla, not only brought gifts for my Barbie, but also brought along her Barbies. My mom baked a cake, my dad carefully iced the cake and my grandfather sat watching so eagerly at what was going to take place.
25 years later, I asked my daughter if she wanted to have a little birthday part for a doll of hers. It's a baby doll and she loves it very much. So remembering my special event I thought she'd be interested too. But just as I was turned off at the idea of having a wedding party for my Barbie, my daughter stared back at me with the most confused look and said "Mama, dolls don't have birthdays" and carried on doing what she was doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment